What is in the Database
Polling the Nations is a compilation of more than 18,000 surveys conducted by over 1,700 polling organizations in the United States and 100 other countries from 1986 to the present time.
The pollsters included in the database are:
- US polling organizations e.g., Harris Poll, Field Poll
- Universities e.g., Marist Institute, Quinnipiac University
- Newspapers e.g., New York Times, Wall Street Journal
- Television news organizations e.g., ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CNN
- International polling organizations e.g., Pew Global Attitudes
Each of the 600,000 records reports a question asked and the responses given. Also included in each record is the polling organization that conducted the work, the date the interviews were conducted, the release date of the information, the sample size and the universe.
All the surveys reported were conducted using scientifically selected random samples. Callers to 900 numbers, readers who clip surveys from newspapers or magazines to send in, or other self-selected respondents are not included in the database.